Yes, it's been awhile. But I have good reasons for it considering I was out traveling the majority of June and also 2 weeks of July!
Recap(s):
June 3 was my last day of teaching and I will not be returning next year. I am happy to say I went out on a good note - our high school music presentation was well received and my juniors did a fantastic job singing at the graduation Mass. They were so good they were mistaken for the Ave Maria choirs. :) The kids were very sad to see me go and I will miss them, their jokes and their craziness, but it is time for me to be at home more.
June 13-18 I was at Duquesne University in Pittsburgh for the Church Music Association of America's annual sacred music colloquium. It was excellent. So thankful my church was able to send me. I really needed a refresher in chant and conducting techniques and it was a blessing to be able to sing more intricate music with advanced musicians again. There was a great number of young people there; very encouraging, and I made a few great new friends. I had an absolutely splendid time and returned with renewed vigor. Below is a short video summary of this year's colloquium.
Good lecture: http://vimeo.com/25776981
Then it was home for a week to prepare music for a friend's wedding and Corpus Christi. I pushed for a very simple procession at our church this year and Fr. agreed. I did a little extra work with the choir and everything came together beautifully - I hope the parishioners were somewhat inspired to have more reverence/devotion to the Blessed Sacrament; something I always pray my music will help them achieve.
Then it was home for a week to prepare music for a friend's wedding and Corpus Christi. I pushed for a very simple procession at our church this year and Fr. agreed. I did a little extra work with the choir and everything came together beautifully - I hope the parishioners were somewhat inspired to have more reverence/devotion to the Blessed Sacrament; something I always pray my music will help them achieve.
The next day I flew out to Portland, OR to help my family finish packing and clean the house. It was such a joy to be with my sisters again, and although we were pooped at the end of each day, we made cleaning fun. Thursday we headed out on our road trip to TX! Many fun stops were enjoyed along the way including Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Park = gorgeous. The mountains, evergreens, and fresh air were balm for my chapped FL soul (I know I exaggerate this point). Hikes, boating, bears, bison, elk, hot springs, and waterfalls were the highlights of our adventures.
We arrived in Dallas, TX a week following our departure. It was very hot; I actually appreciate FL and it's breezes much more now. I was able to be there one day to help with some truck unloading, but the boys did the majority of that. The family has a lovely home in a nice, quiet neighborhood. Friday afternoon I flew home to hubby, and it was great to see him after 2 weeks apart!! There were so many times I wished he was traveling with us, and my siblings also expressed this sentiment which was sweet. But my parents really appreciated him loaning me to them for this trip - thanks, hubby. :)
The very next Monday, Andrew and I took off for Missouri/Kansas to attend our dear friends' wedding which was that Saturday. Since Andrew had not been able to have any vacation time, we had decided to turn that week into a semi-vacation for us both and spent a few days seeing some of the Missouri sights, including the Meramec Caverns (SO cool), a winery, the St. Louis Cathedral, the Arch, and many other highlights in St. Louis.
| Grand Prismatic Spring, Yellowstone |
| Old Faithful, Yellowstone |
| Grand Tetons |
| Mom, Chris and I hiked to Hidden Falls one morning. |
The overall trip was just great; so good to be with my family again, especially my dearest youngest sister, Elizabeth, who was my car companion for most of the trip and made sure I was nourished and comfortable as much as she could. Love you. :)
We arrived in Dallas, TX a week following our departure. It was very hot; I actually appreciate FL and it's breezes much more now. I was able to be there one day to help with some truck unloading, but the boys did the majority of that. The family has a lovely home in a nice, quiet neighborhood. Friday afternoon I flew home to hubby, and it was great to see him after 2 weeks apart!! There were so many times I wished he was traveling with us, and my siblings also expressed this sentiment which was sweet. But my parents really appreciated him loaning me to them for this trip - thanks, hubby. :)
The very next Monday, Andrew and I took off for Missouri/Kansas to attend our dear friends' wedding which was that Saturday. Since Andrew had not been able to have any vacation time, we had decided to turn that week into a semi-vacation for us both and spent a few days seeing some of the Missouri sights, including the Meramec Caverns (SO cool), a winery, the St. Louis Cathedral, the Arch, and many other highlights in St. Louis.
Thursday we headed back to Kansas City to prepare for Dan and Lillian's wedding, as Andrew was in the wedding party. Friday was rehearsal and dinner and it was great to catch up with some Ave folks and Fr. Fessio. Dan and Lillian looked very much in love and ready to be done with all the marriage preparations. :) Their Saturday wedding was beautiful; Lillian was stunning and very peaceful. The ceremony was proceeded by a Rosary, which really exemplified how large a role that prayer and Our Lady has played in this couple's relationship. The Mass was lovely; I was fortunate to be able to sing the Psalm and Alleluia verse. Everyone got a kick out of Fr.'s homily, sometimes to the chagrin of the bride and groom, just because they are so humble. :) Reception followed in the church hall and directly after, Andrew and I were the lucky ones, being able to take the newlyweds to the airport for their honeymoon since our flights left at the same time. We are so happy for them...they have been so faithful and patient and I know God will bless them exceedingly.
Phew! That just about sums up the last few weeks...more updates to come soon. Hope everyone is having a wonderful and fruitful summer!
(Many more pictures from my summer on my FB page.)
(Many more pictures from my summer on my FB page.)




No comments:
Post a Comment