Monday, February 11, 2013

More Paleo and a little {Lenten} challenge.

So you know we've been eating pretty clean the last 6 months. (Let's not factor in the holidays though. :) We've enjoyed better sleep habits, weight loss, energy increase, only 1 sickness (hmm, it sprang up right after the holidays), I'd also like to say more clarity of mind, although the husband may say otherwise. Grin. Here are a few more Paleo dishes I've made, and so easy and fast! (Laura):
My version of Paleo lasagna - spaghetti squash, spinach, and any tomato sauce mixed with whichever meat or shrimp I have on hand.
Sweet potato shepard's pie courtesy of Karen Kempf - check out her blog for yummy GF recipes and lots of nutritional info!
Red potato and leek soup.
Peach and blackberry crisp with coconut flour/almond topping.
Hmm, this doesn't look like something too delicious (taken with Andrew's phone camera) but it is the result of our first Paleo chocolate ice cream made with coconut milk and maple syrup for sweetener. I was out of town when Andrew whipped it up in my Christmas gift (which I have a very strong suspicion was more for him than I) but he said this ice cream is extremely delicious and he is looking forward to more. 

As sweets aren't found in our home, other then in the forms of dark chocolate and the occasional pint of ice cream, and the fact that meat is such a staple in our meals, I've been thinking about what food(s) to offer up this Lent. The fact that we are still eating Paleo style, makes treat or cheat foods all the more enjoyable, and so I figure, no treats/cheats for Lent and no evening wine glass for me. I've also decided to follow the Whole 30 "cleanse" which is basically Paleo in the strictest sense of the word. No occasionally safe add-in's like red potatoes, corn, cheeses, nut flours, Greek yogurt, cream, honey, dark chocolate, etc., and I will be keeping an eye out for added sugar in products. I feel it's a good sacrificial food choice for me to make, and one that will still allow me to get the nutrients I need as a nursing, active mama. Here are 30 reasons to do Whole 30 - most of these benefits apply to Paleo in general, but I am hoping these will be even more apparent as I complete this strict sugar cleanse. Also hoping that this will get me over the final little hurdle and back to my pre-pregnancy weight for good! I am starting today so that I will get 40 days of it in before Holy Week...not sure yet if hubby will participate 100%, but that's ok.  I will of course check in with my thoughts at the end of the 40 days and continue to share a few meal ideas along the way. Feel free to ask for any recipes that pique your interest!

We are thankful to have discovered this method of eating - it has worked so well for us and we enjoy it! So much so that it takes a very good restaurant to coax us to eat out, and we have decided to save eating out for the "cleaner food" restaurants. Thankfully we live in a more food-conscious city and can find quite a few places where I don't have to worry about what is in the meat. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment