Monday, October 7, 2013

Lately.

Life here at the ITI is chugging along; nothing too exciting to report, so enjoy these pictures from the last few weeks.
 When the weather is quite chilly and Mama not feeling well, Michael is allowed to watch a bit of Bambi or an alphabet/number/color learning video.
He'll watch for about 10 minutes then will want to get back to the tangible life.
Sunday nap with Papa.
From the kitchen:
 Chili and cornbread - have to keep those good American dinners in our routine!
 Pears from the ITI orchard and one of the last butternut squashes from the garden...
...which went into the soup pot - I'm so thrilled to have found a good sturdy immersion blender for a decent price - it really is the little things that set my mind at rest these days. We were joking with another family here about how we came here in search of the simple life, and now all we do is lament the lack of things that we have. :) I will certainly appreciate more what we do have upon our return to the States - it is good to learn to live with less. But I simply DO need another pot/pan; the above soup pot is borrowed and I usually only work with a saucer and a large skillet.
 On the vigil of the feast of St. Therese (the patron saint of the ITI) the cardinal of Vienna, Cardinal Schonborn came to celebrate Mass and meet the new students. Our choir sang and I played the old wooden organ upstairs in the local parish church.
 Wow, I look 100% like my sister Mary when I'm playing, especially with the relaxed jaw.
 I'm thankful Michael listened and stayed off the organ pedals!
 Afterwards we had a meal together.
 
 
There was a student getting photographs of us all meeting the Cardinal - I will have to post those later. He is very kind, and sincerely asked us how we were settling in and how our children are doing.
 Rebecca, an amazing Canadian mom here at the ITI who has been very helpful with survival tips for me.
 Her second youngest, Kate, is a little older than Michael and they enjoy playing together - I just love her outfit.
Kate is very benevolent with Michael and let him feed her some food.
I tackled my first Austrian kinder flohmarkt (children's flea market) one Saturday morning with a few other moms. Andrew is usually the German speaker when our family is out, so this was a good chance for me to practice on my own. Austrians take very good care of their things so sometimes the prices are high and a little haggling is necessary. I was thankful to find 8 of the 10 things on my list: bouncy chair, snow suit for Michael, warm baby suit, hats, a baby carrier-wrap, long sleeve tops for Michael, a few toys, and this real sheepskin rug in perfect condition for 5 Euro, which I have wanted for baby use for some time now - definitely taking it back to the States. All for 40 Euros, and Babies r Us here was selling a snowsuit alone for that price. Good to know these markets come around occasionally.
 Michael has been enjoying a rocking motorbike leant to us by a family here.
 And his small collection of cars which he enjoys lining up.
The face of a tired, teething toddler - and yes, we finally have a molar through with 3 more on the way.
But plenty of goofy still in him.
 
Love to you all!


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the update! I didn't know you played for the cardinal's Mass! Wow!!

    ReplyDelete