Thursday, December 5, 2013

Adjusting and grateful hearts.

Well, we are now almost 3 weeks in with our new little baby and the adjustment becomes smoother every week. Michael enjoys holding his brother, patting him on the head, and informing Mama when "Baby cry!" I do have to keep an eye on the intensity of Michael's caresses to Dominic - I think he will be happy when Dominic is strong enough to play with him and appreciate food being stuck in his mouth and picture books of trains, airplanes, and the like, shoved in his face. :) As you see here, I am attempting to soften an affectionate head butt.
But he is so cute and loving and full of good intention; I find it to be a delicate balance in restraining him while letting him know his brotherly affection is appreciated and needed. Lots of patience is required, that is certain.
 Dominic's first bath...in our small bathroom sans a tub and counter space.
Dominic has adjusted to life outside the womb relatively fast. He is a very calm baby except when he needs something and then is sure to let us know it pronto. From the start, he has been a fairly good night sleeper, and after eating around 11pm-midnight-ish, usually wakes once to eat before 6 or 7. Michael is easily awakened by Dominic at night and will often climb in our bed unless Andrew is awake enough to take him back to his own bed. It is not uncommon for me to wake up tightly sandwiched between these 2 little boys, and I seem never to have luck sneaking out for a shower...need to work on this situation.
Mama is feeling great (minus some sleep). Recovery went very fast, and I have been able to easily re-enter our ambulatory lifestyle. I really feel like a completely new woman - this pregnancy was quite difficult for me with bouts of severe pelvic pain the last few months, and so to have that relieved provides a true sense of freedom - I am ready to conquer this Austrian season of our lives! Here I am heading to choir rehearsal with Dominic.
 As gratitude and thanksgiving have been forefront in my heart this past month, I wanted to share Andrew's pictures from the ITI Thanksgiving meal. Our first Thanksgiving out of the US was very lovely; much more so than I expected. A young couple from the States invited us and another American couple with a baby over for Thanksgiving lunch on the day of, with ALL the fixin's! It was so nice to celebrate with fellow Americans - felt almost like home (I'm sorry we didn't take the camera). On the Saturday after Thanksgiving, ITI student life hosted a community Thanksgiving meal which was held in the keller of the Schloss.
As it was my first social gathering since Dominic's birth, it was a nice chance for the other ITI moms to meet him and for me to thank them for their encouragement and prayers.
We shared a table with our good friends from Canada and an English professor and his Austrian wife.
Michael enjoyed running around the keller with the other little people and it was quite amusing to see him interact with and "talk" to his buddies.
 After Thanksgiving weekend, we were blessed with the news that 2 full weeks of meals were being provided for us by different families so that I could focus on resting and nourishing the babies. Our first one came the 1st Sunday of Advent - look at the size of it! I am inspired and humbled by the complete generosity and compassion of the families here; I know we all struggle with various aspects of life/the necessary sacrifices required of us while living at the ITI, and so to have little gifts, food, wine and desserts, not to mention the kind words and genuine happiness in seeing/holding baby Dominic, so freely given, has truly made me feel embraced by God. This community brings to mind the images of the early Church as presented in the New Testament...each striving to live in complete charity with his brother. We are blessed. And I give thanks to God.
"We thank you, God, we give thanks; we call upon your name, declare your wonderful deeds..."
Psalm 75:1

No comments:

Post a Comment