- Canonization Day -
Rome had been preparing all week, and especially the Saturday before for this huge occasion. Large screens were in position to broadcast the Mass all the way back to the Tiber River.
Street corners were set up with medical units and thousands of water bottles.
Italian police were bused in.
Around 7pm we stationed ourselves with a growing crowd outside of the blocked-off Via Della Concilazonie near the Castel Sant'Angelo.
And under the watchful eye of St. Catherine.
It was initially raining when we first assembled, but stopped after 2 hours and then we had clear skies the rest of the night!
Any open spots quickly filled up...
So many jubilant groups! These Polish seminarians started a few dance and song parties during the evening.
Dominic was the center of much attention, being one of the very few babies present. Quite a few people asked if they could get his picture. The above picture was sent to me - apparently we made it into a Slovak news website!
Around 9pm we got the boys to sleep and tucked away in their stroller. We prayed a Rosary then chatted with people around us. Germans, French, Italians, and one American lady who happened to know a classmate of ours from Ave Maria! Vastly different cultures, languages, ages, but all united by our one Catholic, apostolic faith.
I don't have any more pictures from the rest of the night except a few taken on my phone, so will continue with the details. Around midnight, we heard the gates being pulled back. In what seemed an instant, we had jumped up, gathered our blankets and water bottles, and rushed along with the crowd towards the street. Of course, we didn't get far because there were so many people, but we were able to figure out that the police were very slowly moving the crowd forward towards the square, which wouldn't open until 5am. We were packed shoulder to shoulder, back to back. We remained this way for a hour, not moving. I squatted down, leaned against the stroller and tried to catch a few winks as did many of the people around us. Then at 1am, the movement started again, but this time with intense pushing pressure from the thousands behind us. I was behind the stroller and had to yell out "Stop pushing" at different intervals and wave my water bottle wildly in the air when it got too intense, and a kind man with a loud voice assisted me in doing this, yelling "Children are here! Stop!" Thankfully the message got passed along, but it was harrowing for me at points. Lots of prayers for our safety and especially for the elderly I saw around us. Of course I checked the boys every other minute, but they were completely fine in their sturdy stroller and slept through it all! Then the forward motion stopped, and no progress was made for a long time. Andrew was concerned about enough air getting down to the boys in the stroller as we were packed so tight. I could see him considering leaving and let him make the call. Peggy was worried about her children as well and we all knew we couldn't spend the next 4 hours in this position. So we made the hard decision to leave, which wasn't as hard to do as we had feared, thankfully. It only took us about 5 minutes to get out to the side street. People were very kind and helped us, smiling down at the boys, even when the stroller wheels crunched their toes. Michael received many blessings from priests as we made our way through the crowd and finally woke up once we were out on the empty street. We were so thankful to sleep in beds that night! Disappointed to have had to leave the crowd, but the children come first!
I got up around 7am the next morning to go check out the situation. As our apartment was within the area sectioned off from the crowds, the streets were quiet except for cardinals and their assistants walking towards the Vatican to con-celebrate the Mass. I scoped out a place we could be in good position for the Mass and brought everyone back at 9am. I was happy for this spot. We could see the columns of the square, we could hear the music, we could catch an occasional glimpse of one of the big screens.
Michael watching the news helicopters fly overhead.
Sharing a kiss with Mama before Mass started. He was such a happy and affectionate boy that weekend.
But then! They allowed some of us to enter in up to the next barricade point. We were chosen because of the children. I kept saying, "Familia! Bambini, due bambini!" The police were very sympathetic towards all families, throughout that whole weekend, I felt. So nice.
And then!! Just as the Mass started we were allowed into the sidelines of the square! We quickly went through security and came upon this sight just as the canonization proclamation occurred.
We jumped the fence to get into this section. Wow, what an experience to see it all and feel the joy, the prayers, the gratitude - such a spirit of John Paul II prevailed. Thanks to those ecstatic and proud Poles, no doubt!
Michael was excited to see Pope Francis on the screen, incensing and lifting the Host and Chalice! Finally, a papal Mass in person!
So so wonderful to see Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI too. He is holy and humble, and it radiates from his person. We miss him so. Participating at Mass and especially singing the Creed along with him and the million other Catholics present, was an amazing moment for me - such a feeling of universal unity! Our hearts were expanding and overflowing. Again, a tiny glimpse of Heaven.
Of course, Michael had to participate by doing the incensing that he so loves to do (usually every day) using Mama's water bottle.
Another very beautiful moment - seeing priest after priest carry the Blessed Sacrament into the crowd, signaled by a Vatican-colored umbrella.
Happy boy. (Too many pictures of me! I told Andrew, next time, I will have to be behind the camera more.)
Brotherly love.
He is a saint! St. Pope John Paul the Great, pray for us.
Here you can see the million pilgrims at the canonization stretching out
from St. Peter's Square, along the Via Della Concilazonie, past the
Castel Sant'Angelo and over both Tiber bridges! (Taken from
Catholic-link.)
After Mass, we went for lunch, then home for blessed sleep. Later that evening, Andrew and I went with the kids to the square. Lots of people were milling around, recounting the day's events.
What a glorious day! So blessed to share it with them.
- Departure day -
- Departure day -
The next day, we packed up, said our goodbyes, and headed to the train station to check times for our trip out to the Ciampino airport. After buying tickets, we had a few hours to kill, so we walked down the street to the Church of Santa Prassede. This church was built in the 5th century and has been rebuilt several times since, but some of the original structure and decorations still remain. St. Prassede was the daughter of a Roman family who housed St. Paul during his trips to Rome, and when her family's religious affinity was discovered, they were martyred; the church is built over their house. We were happy to enter in just as a Mass was starting, in French, no less!
Michael folding his hands during Mass.
A very ancient fresco.
Beneath the altar are the tombs of St. Prassede and her sister. Also, many bones of the martyrs that were initially buried in the Catacombs.
Mosaics from the 5th century depicting Christ and the 12 Apostles.
Inside a side chapel, we came upon this portion of a column, and reading the little sign under it, I was amazed to see it was from the column of the scourging of Jesus! What a relic!
A lovely Pieta sculpture.
We had such a wonderful trip and were sad to leave! Rome is crazy yes, but its people are so friendly and relaxed and human. Its churches and relics are a great treasure trove for learning and gaining peace. The historical ruins, fountains, architecture, narrow cobbled streets, rumbling vespas, whiffs of cappuccino, even the dramatic arguing of two Italians truck drivers in the middle of the street with a nonchalant policeman standing by puffing away on his cigarette and chatting on his cell phone, completely charmed us. We felt so at home there...it could be that we have not seen much of Europe, and the Italian culture is so more down to earth and casual that of the Viennese. Much of my year's worth study of Italian came back to me over that week, and knowing Latin, Italian is so much easier to follow than German. Could have something to do with it as well.
Well, maybe we won't miss the graffiti. :)
Arrivederci Roma, we will be back. Grazie mille, dear God, for this wonderful experience!


Ah! This is so neat! We were RIGHT THERE where you were sleeping out! We were just around the corner right near the portapotties :) I'm pretty sure I even remember walking by and seeing a stroller and thinking, hey, another family was as crazy as us!! I wonder if that was you! Oh, I wish I would've known! It would've been so cool to connect with someone and feel like we "knew" them. I'm really trying to not second guess our decision to stay in the mushed crowd...not that we had much of a choice by the time we realized how bad it was. A huge part of me is wishing we had done just what you did...but best not to dwell on that and just be thankful we were there, right?!! Love seeing all these pictures!
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness, you were so close to us! Andrew even walked over there to find the closest portapotties. Yes, that would have been so neat to run into you. I had actually just stumbled across your blog a few days before we left to go there and was looking at your Holy Week papal Mass posts; what a blessing! I tried to keep my eye out for a family of boys, but, oh well. Yes, we were super fortunate to be near the front and getting out was fairly easy. Ah, what craziness. But an experience we will never forget! God bless!
DeleteBeautiful pictures and beautiful story! What a blessing to be there! I came to your blog because of Mary up there (-: What a small, small world! First of all, in your wedding photo I recognized the priest. Then I saw the connection with Ave Maria. Hmm, I wonder if she knows my son? Hmmm!!! I guess so--there's a picture of him!! cutting the graduation cake together. Wow, thanks!
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness, Mrs. Page!! So wonderful to hear from you! Nathan was a dear classmate and friend of both me and my husband's at Ave Maria. He is often in our thoughts and prayers! What a small world! Here at the ITI in Austria, my husband is now a classmate with David Allen, who just left the Norbertine's last year and who also knows Nathan! If you have a chance the next time you speak with Nathan, let him know where we are. God bless you! :)
DeleteI printed your reply and sent it to frater Edmund (Nathan) with a letter I was writing. He will be home in June for a 2 week home visit and I will show him your blog. How wonderful to hear news about David--he and his family have been in our prayers. God's blessings to you and your beautiful family. (Oh, and your baby was born on our daughter's 23rd birthday :-) and what a beautiful birth story his was!)
DeleteDear Linda, I'm so glad you did! Yes, David is a wonderful, peaceful, joyful person...I only recently found out (not through him) that it was his sister in the tragic hiking accident last year; he is a great inspiration. Can you email me so I have your email address? We would love to email fater Edmund during June while he is there. I haven't gotten on the ball with snail mail here in Austria... Melissacsteele@gmail.com Thank you! God bless and keep you.
Delete