For the past 5 or so months, we have been spending anywhere from 5-30 minutes a day removing ants from our kitchen. When I say removing, I mean we have gone after those ants armed with various cleaner sprays, paper towels, tape, and caulk for any holes we might find. Andrew chuckles at me, because of my strategies and perseverance in trying to crack the "ant code." I'm just so sure that scout ants learn the layout then scuttle back to one of the many cracks/holes to carry news of their findings to the ant king. (Maybe they even employ decoy ants to trick me.) I've wasted too much time in patiently watching the ants make their way back "home" so I can spray along their trail and plug that hole. This has become a quite exhausting and all-encompassing part of life, even to the point of waging ant battles in my dreams...sad. Lately, they have invaded our bathrooms. There is nothing so disheartening as stumbling into your bathroom in the morning to get ready for the day, and finding ants crawling all over your sink, floor, and even personal items. I thought this was the last straw. People are NOT supposed to live in the swamp and I am SO done with it.
It has been a tough beginning of the semester anyway: Andrew and I have had a very nasty chest cold for over a week now, with the worst part hitting during the first days of classes, and we're still not getting much better; my medical bills from November (emotionally painful to deal with as well), expected financial aid still still have not been processed...and these ants were not helping matters at all. A few mornings ago, I started crying in frustration while spraying those ants marching along my bathroom ceiling borders. As I lamented about how everything hits at once, it struck me. A ceiling. A roof. At least I have a roof. I didn't just go through an earthquake. Here I am wailing about sickness, finances, and ants while people right now don't have doctors, food, homes, and I'm sure are dealing with much harsher natural elements than ants. We have SO much to be grateful for, and may God be with His poor suffering children in Haiti.
No comments:
Post a Comment