Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Slow but steady recovery

So, the surgery was successful. The dr. removed the cyst and found a great amount of endometriosis throughout the regions of my abdomen, most of which she was able to remove.  My reproductive organs are safe and sound - miraculous news to me because of all the endo that was present and I've read so many horror stories - thanks be to God.  And thanks to all of you; I know that my smooth surgery can be attributed to your prayers!

All in all, it was a great first surgery experience for me.  I was very calm and peaceful all morning (which surprised me because I had some major freak-out moments in the days before); my dear dr. had to perform an unexpected c-section so my surgery was 2 hours late, but hubby and I had brought books and so snuggled in the waiting room and read together - I napped a little; after I was admitted and prepped, my dr. prayed a Hail Mary with me (ahhhh), they wheeled me in and put me under.  3 hours and 4 incisions later, I woke up in post-op. to a lovely older nurse from Romania who provided me with gentle, firm, and attentive care for the duration of my hospital stay of 9 hrs.  She was so kind and compassionate I intend to write her a thank-you note, as some of the other nurses were not going around with smiles on their faces, so to me, it made all the difference to have the one I did!  I experienced quite a bit of pain and dehydration, but that suffering was put to good use through prayer, I hope :) 

Recovering at home has been slow but steady.  Hubby has been so wonderful in taking care of me, as usual - he's always the best nurse.  The biggest struggle was making it through my church job this past weekend, but hubby stepped in with his gorgeous voice to sing while I played, so that helped tremendously.  Ben stayed with us for a week's time, and was helpful in making some eats, taking the trash out, and entertaining me - thanks, Ben! 

Despite the pain and restlessness, time in bed has been good for me; you know, that old "Be still and know that I am God."  Lots of time for prayer and reflection - which has resulted in much gratitude for my life, my health, my suffering, my God, my hubby, my jobs, my family, my friends....everything with which He has surrounded me - I am indeed very blessed.  Snippets from books, movies, Skype w/family and friends, and cross-stitching have also filled my down-time.  Nice to be able to indulge in the pleasures of life without any interruptions or time restraints!  And all the naps have been lovely.

It was back to school for hubby this Monday.  It will be a busy semester for him, but he is eager to commence his MA studies.  I feel bad that I have not been able to send him off with breakfast and a packed lunch; next week, hubby.  I've been missing him - yay for commuting to Ave together starting next week when I'm back in proper shape and form for my teaching job.  :)

First choir rehearsal at St. Raphael's tonight! Looking forward to begin forming this little choir by easing them into some easy chant and polyphony.  "Slow but steady" seems to be an applicable mantra for this week!  Hope some newbies show up.

My sister, Catherine comes to visit us soon!  She arrived in FL yesterday and is currently spending time with Laura's little family.  We'll meet in the middle on Sunday to take her into our custody, looking forward to having some fun sister time with her.

"Oh Lord, how great is the depth of the kindness which you have shown to those who love you."
Psalm 30:20

1 comment:

  1. So glad your feeling better my dear. I miss you so much! xoxo

    ReplyDelete