Introducing Dominic Gerard Steele! Born November 16, 2013 at 10:47pm in Vienna, Austria, weighing in at 8.5 pounds and measuring 20 inches. Here is the story...
At 38 weeks, we learned that our baby boy was in the breech position (which I had been having a feeling about...) and were abruptly told that we had to do a C-section the next week. I had not been experiencing any early labor action or Braxton Hicks for a few weeks and felt it was too early to take the baby from the womb. I had them go ahead and schedule the cesarean but that I was going to get a second opinion. One of the moms here had a home birth over the summer, and I contacted her midwife to get some advice. She agreed with my gut feeling to not rush into a C-section until I had been examined by another doctor, and told me that natural breech births are not uncommon here in Austria. She gave me the name of a doctor and hospital in Vienna who delivers breech babies, and I set up an appointment to see him. Dr. Christian Altmutter received us warmly and told me he was very happy to receive my email. After hearing my pregnancy/birthing history, checking the position of the baby, and measuring my hips and pelvis, he told me that I and the baby were excellent candidates for a natural breech delivery and talked me through the process. He said he would see me once a week up until 10 days after the due date, at which point if labor hadn't started, he would see if he could help it start or perhaps it would be necessary then to have a C-section. He spoke with such confidence about this, that I was able to get over my doubts about pursing a natural birth. We immediately sent out prayer requests for all to go well and I began a novena to St. Gerard, the patron saint of pregnant women.
Mom arrived. The due date came and went. Not even the slightest sign of labor at all. After the due date, we went to the hospital every 2-3 days to check the baby's heartbeat and action. Not even a tremor of a contraction showed up on the monitor. When 3 out of the 4 weeks of Mom's visit was up, I began to doubt again...perhaps I should just get a C-section so I could be sure to recover while Mom was here and could care for Michael. Dr. Altmutter always reassured me that we were giving the baby the best chance for a natural entry into the world, while at the same time checking in with me, to make sure I was still on board..."Vee are a team," he said. :) Also, remembering my tough recovery from Endometriosis surgery a few years ago (while on a smaller scale) helped me stay the course. We have a very active lifestyle here and walk everywhere we need to go...I couldn't imagine trying to recover and continue to run the household by myself, as Andrew has a very intense program of study. These mind games sure tested my faith at times! It was a blessing especially to have Mom here at that time, and also all the prayers and friendly concern from the ITI community.
The 8th day was a Thursday; I saw Dr. Altmutter that morning and he said the baby was still a safe size to deliver breech and he decided to wait until Sunday night to induce. I asked him if there were any remedies I could try at home, like castor oil, and he said yes, the midwives will provide an instruction sheet with labor-starting remedies to try at home. I was to try these over the weekend, before checking into the hospital Sunday evening. The midwife at the hospital gave me some castor oil, massage oil, and directions for a potent labor tea and "cocktail." On the way home, Mom and I ran into the 'Apoteke' (pharmacy) to pick up the herb required. At noon, I used the massage oil and sipped on the labor tea...nothing. Friday at noon, I took the Tbsp. of castor oil and light contractions (more on the scale of Braxtons) ensued for a few hours. Then they stopped. At this point, I really believed that the baby was not going to come out on his own. The next morning, Saturday, we were back at the hospital for the heartbeat check. Baby was doing just fine and dandy and again no contractions registered (but of course I knew that; I hadn't been feeling anything!) We came home and I took 2 Tbsp. of castor oil around 1pm, then laid down to nap with Michael. At 3pm, I felt mini contractions start up, as I guessed they would with the castor oil. They were off and on for the next few hours and not painful. At dinner time, I wasn't feeling well so went to lie down and at 8pm, major surges developed and I knew I was in active labor - praise God!
We spent the next 1.5 hours securing a vehicle, organizing the hospital bag, and attempting to call the hospital to alert them that we were on the way. (We still have challenges remembering what prefix numbers to dial/not dial) and couldn't reach the hospital. The contractions were becoming very strong and I emphasized that we had to leave. So we left Mom to try to get through to the hospital and got in the car at 9:30pm. We arrived at the hospital at 10pm - Mom had reached someone and the nurses were expecting me. My water broke 10 minutes later and I was 5 cm dilated. (Dr. Altmutter had repeatedly told me that the second baby can come very fast - they don't call them "hurricane babies" for no reason; but I still expected my body to take a good amount of time to birth, especially this breech baby.) Things happened fast...I immediately went into transition and promptly forgot all about breathing and relaxing due to the intensity, as Andrew will attest. :) The nurse called the doctor on call to the room (another doctor on the breech team) he introduced himself and said things were looking good. They proceeded to prop me up on my back. I began having the urge to push and wanted to get on all fours, but they reminded me that I had to be on my back because of the position of the baby. Things were feeling very intense. Andrew and another nurse or midwife kept talking in my ear...telling me to breath, that they could see the baby, that things were fine even though it was happening fast, breath air down to the baby...Andrew said some prayers which helped me calm down and focus. No one was giving me any instructions which I was expecting for a breech birth...they were just sitting there waiting! So I assumed all was well and relaxed a little and began pushing baby boy out. Pushing is the best part - all those horrid contractions are over and your baby is on the brink of being in your arms! He birthed at 10:47pm. He was immediately placed on my chest and Andrew cut the cord. I had a small tear that required 2 stiches. The doctor and nurses congratulated us on a beautiful birth and left us alone with baby for over an hour. This was a special time for us to examine Dominic and began to bond; he nursed too. I was brought some tea and food and later the pediatrician quickly weighed and measured Dominic and gave him back to me. I took a shower then headed over to my room. As most recovery rooms in the hospitals here do not have space for the father to stay (costs extra), Andrew went home to be with Michael and Mom. I was too excited to sleep and was feeling great; better than after Michael's birth, probably due to the speed of this one! I cuddled and nursed my little boy, giving thanks from the bottom of my heart for another wonderful birth...I had worried so so much, had tried to remind myself to keep trusting God, but had had so many doubts, and so felt I had failed at that. He really is so faithful to us no matter the enormity of our weaknesses. I am also grateful for the prayers of our family, friends, and especially everyone at the ITI!
Mom arrived. The due date came and went. Not even the slightest sign of labor at all. After the due date, we went to the hospital every 2-3 days to check the baby's heartbeat and action. Not even a tremor of a contraction showed up on the monitor. When 3 out of the 4 weeks of Mom's visit was up, I began to doubt again...perhaps I should just get a C-section so I could be sure to recover while Mom was here and could care for Michael. Dr. Altmutter always reassured me that we were giving the baby the best chance for a natural entry into the world, while at the same time checking in with me, to make sure I was still on board..."Vee are a team," he said. :) Also, remembering my tough recovery from Endometriosis surgery a few years ago (while on a smaller scale) helped me stay the course. We have a very active lifestyle here and walk everywhere we need to go...I couldn't imagine trying to recover and continue to run the household by myself, as Andrew has a very intense program of study. These mind games sure tested my faith at times! It was a blessing especially to have Mom here at that time, and also all the prayers and friendly concern from the ITI community.
The 8th day was a Thursday; I saw Dr. Altmutter that morning and he said the baby was still a safe size to deliver breech and he decided to wait until Sunday night to induce. I asked him if there were any remedies I could try at home, like castor oil, and he said yes, the midwives will provide an instruction sheet with labor-starting remedies to try at home. I was to try these over the weekend, before checking into the hospital Sunday evening. The midwife at the hospital gave me some castor oil, massage oil, and directions for a potent labor tea and "cocktail." On the way home, Mom and I ran into the 'Apoteke' (pharmacy) to pick up the herb required. At noon, I used the massage oil and sipped on the labor tea...nothing. Friday at noon, I took the Tbsp. of castor oil and light contractions (more on the scale of Braxtons) ensued for a few hours. Then they stopped. At this point, I really believed that the baby was not going to come out on his own. The next morning, Saturday, we were back at the hospital for the heartbeat check. Baby was doing just fine and dandy and again no contractions registered (but of course I knew that; I hadn't been feeling anything!) We came home and I took 2 Tbsp. of castor oil around 1pm, then laid down to nap with Michael. At 3pm, I felt mini contractions start up, as I guessed they would with the castor oil. They were off and on for the next few hours and not painful. At dinner time, I wasn't feeling well so went to lie down and at 8pm, major surges developed and I knew I was in active labor - praise God!
We spent the next 1.5 hours securing a vehicle, organizing the hospital bag, and attempting to call the hospital to alert them that we were on the way. (We still have challenges remembering what prefix numbers to dial/not dial) and couldn't reach the hospital. The contractions were becoming very strong and I emphasized that we had to leave. So we left Mom to try to get through to the hospital and got in the car at 9:30pm. We arrived at the hospital at 10pm - Mom had reached someone and the nurses were expecting me. My water broke 10 minutes later and I was 5 cm dilated. (Dr. Altmutter had repeatedly told me that the second baby can come very fast - they don't call them "hurricane babies" for no reason; but I still expected my body to take a good amount of time to birth, especially this breech baby.) Things happened fast...I immediately went into transition and promptly forgot all about breathing and relaxing due to the intensity, as Andrew will attest. :) The nurse called the doctor on call to the room (another doctor on the breech team) he introduced himself and said things were looking good. They proceeded to prop me up on my back. I began having the urge to push and wanted to get on all fours, but they reminded me that I had to be on my back because of the position of the baby. Things were feeling very intense. Andrew and another nurse or midwife kept talking in my ear...telling me to breath, that they could see the baby, that things were fine even though it was happening fast, breath air down to the baby...Andrew said some prayers which helped me calm down and focus. No one was giving me any instructions which I was expecting for a breech birth...they were just sitting there waiting! So I assumed all was well and relaxed a little and began pushing baby boy out. Pushing is the best part - all those horrid contractions are over and your baby is on the brink of being in your arms! He birthed at 10:47pm. He was immediately placed on my chest and Andrew cut the cord. I had a small tear that required 2 stiches. The doctor and nurses congratulated us on a beautiful birth and left us alone with baby for over an hour. This was a special time for us to examine Dominic and began to bond; he nursed too. I was brought some tea and food and later the pediatrician quickly weighed and measured Dominic and gave him back to me. I took a shower then headed over to my room. As most recovery rooms in the hospitals here do not have space for the father to stay (costs extra), Andrew went home to be with Michael and Mom. I was too excited to sleep and was feeling great; better than after Michael's birth, probably due to the speed of this one! I cuddled and nursed my little boy, giving thanks from the bottom of my heart for another wonderful birth...I had worried so so much, had tried to remind myself to keep trusting God, but had had so many doubts, and so felt I had failed at that. He really is so faithful to us no matter the enormity of our weaknesses. I am also grateful for the prayers of our family, friends, and especially everyone at the ITI!

No comments:
Post a Comment