Going on 2 months now, I have been cooking/eating Paleo. Paleo is a dairy free, grain/gluten free, sugar free lifestyle (I refrain from using the "d" word, because it really should be seen as a way of life, of healthy living!) Breastfeeding only took me so far in losing baby weight and since I did not want to go on a diet because I am still breastfeeding, I decided to tweak my cooking and eating habits. I have never felt my best when eating grains or starches and so was immediately drawn to Paleo recipes. I'm also a lover of strong and spicy flavors, and am impressed at how satisfying a deliciously seasoned meal is even sans the starchy carbs. And...it's working! I'm eating good lots of meat, all sorts of veggies, good fats, yams, some dark chocolate, and even a little wine, and those baby inches/pounds are slipping off. People question the regular consumption of fats within Paleo. Good, clean stable fats are used as fuel by the muscles and is a fast burning element, while it's those starchy carbs that eventually turn into glucose and are stored in the actual fat cells, spiking insulin levels, contributing to obesity, type 2 diabetes, and the like.
Of course with any healthy lifestyle, one must keep active. I've bumped it up a notch by carrying Michael wherever I go instead of using the stroller or shopping cart. I've also made an effort to walk to the grocery store, to the post office or bank, and we live on the middle of a hill, just to give you an idea. And my load bundle of baby boy is no joking matter. ;) Andrew and I have also made it our goal to hike twice a week.
And so here is a sample day in my life of Paleo eats.
First things first in the morning, I start either the coffee maker or the tea kettle.
I like to drink something warm in the morning to stimulate my "awake buds" and our chillier Seattle mornings invite just such a drink. As of late, it's been a toss up between TJ's French Roast, English Breakfast Tea, or some type of berry tea. Love putting a dollop of organic whole cream, yes whole (remember the fat deal) in my coffee/tea = delish!
Then I whip up some type of green smoothie for hubby and I. Usually a banana, spinach and/or kale, handful of berries or peach slices, and a little unsweetened coconut milk all topped with ice. Yum.
I pause to smile at this happy morning boy.
Next come the eggs - a staple source of protein. I cook them in a little coconut oil and top them with some type of veggie - this morning was tomato. Some mornings, I will serve a meat on the side. This morning, I finished off some eggplant bolognese leftovers and hubby had bacon. Those mornings when Andrew can't stay to eat, I try to send him to work with the smoothie and a few hard-boiled eggs.
Michael nibbled on some yam roasted in coconut oil/lil salt and chicken mashed together.
Lunch today consisted of ham/avocado/mustard wraps with a hearty side salad.
Some days, especially with breastfeeding, I will have a hunger strike in the afternoon and so go for a handful of nuts, a Lara bar (made from raw fruit and nuts), an apple with some almond butter, or a hard-boiled egg.
Some days, especially with breastfeeding, I will have a hunger strike in the afternoon and so go for a handful of nuts, a Lara bar (made from raw fruit and nuts), an apple with some almond butter, or a hard-boiled egg.
Dinner: chicken enchiladas topped with cilantro, avocado, olives, and lime juice w/roasted beets and yams on the side. Can I just say I am totally in love with beets these days? To me, they taste like sweet corn but with a potato-like texture. I did attempt some coconut flour tortillas for this dish; only half the batch came out in one piece - an art I must master. Although they were tasty, I still prefer my meat alone with veggies. Hubby appreciated them though. (I was just happy he didn't say he missed rice or corn tortillas or chips!)
And yes, some days we even have dessert, although I usually limit it to the weekends. This is one of our favs, being chocolate of course! Coconut milk chocolate pudding - simple, easy and decadent. I like to top it with berries; these blackberries were gathered from our private lane! Hope the neighbors didn't mind, but they weren't out there picking them. I even froze a bunch and have my eye on the next batch that should be ripening within the next 2 weeks. Free berries for the winter - score!
Recipe credits: http://everydaypaleo.com/ and Paleo Comfort Foods. I have found many great websites/blogs with Paleo recipes and advice, some of course, gets a little too into the "caveman" mentality for me, but I'm able to apply some to aiding my baby weight loss. I'm feeling more energetic and stronger every day; am hooked for now. (Of course, I've slipped off the band wagon with a pastry or non-Paleo dessert here and there, but it's the getting back on track and sticking to it for the majority of the time that counts.) Perhaps in a later post, I'll compile some of the sites I've been accessing so you can try out a recipe or two. My one weakness is still...BandJ's coffee heath bar ice cream...but that's not in the budget now, right? :)
Enjoyed reading this post! Very inspiring! :) But you are also fortunate you don't have a bunch of littles to feed too! At least Michael looks like he's off to a good start with his food choices. :)
ReplyDelete