On December 6, we celebrate the feast of a beloved 4th century Christian bishop and saint, Nicholas. I find his persona and legend a far cry from modern day Santa Claus, and his story one of much worth for our children. Ordained a bishop in Turkey at a young age, St. Nicholas was very devoted to serving his people, and especially known for coming to the assistance of children on many occasions. St. Nicholas was imprisoned and suffered for his faith on a few occasions during the early persecution of Christians. He is most famously known as the "giver of gifts." Legend has it that the Christ Child commissioned him to bring the story of His birth to the children of the world, while giving them the gifts of faith, hope and charity, along with treats of a material nature, provided they acted as good children should. It has long been a European tradition for children to leave their shoes out on the eve of December 5, in the hopes of receiving a blessing from this good saint, and I have fond memories of St. Nick surprises from my childhood.
Looks like St. Nicholas thought Papa and Michael were good boys this past year...
As Papa had a breakfast meeting for work, Michael and I enjoyed some healthy pancakes cooked in the shape of a bishop's crosier, and oranges, a traditional treat for this day. After lunch I read a St. Nicholas book aloud; since Michael is still too young to understand the importance of these days, I am happy to educate Andrew a little bit about the stories and traditions which were so meaningful to me growing up. :)
I used my newly purchased Julbock (Christmas goat) to decorate today, as Scandinavian legend has it that this goat arrives with the Christmas elves, Fr. Christmas, or St. Nicholas to carry children's presents.
We call upon your mercy, O Lord.
Through the intercession of Saint Nicholas,
keep as safe amid all dangers
that we may go forward without hindrance
on the road to salvation.
St. Nicholas, patron of children, seafarers, bakers, and the imprisoned (to name a few), pray for us!
I love the icon in the wreath. I am always looking for more ideas to decorate for the feast days. Of course the Julbock is wonderful! The IKEA here and and the Scandanavian homes in the local magazines often have those as well as the iconic Scandanavian horse. (not sure of the proper term)
ReplyDelete