Friday, December 7, 2012

Paleo update.

 I've had a few requests about the Paleo regime we've been (mostly) following for the past few months, and so thought I'd provide a little update. So far I've lost close to 30 and Andrew 20 lbs, which we also attribute to being active. We've also noticed a significant energy increase, digestive clearness, and come to think of it, I haven't been sick at all, and Andrew only once, even during the cold weather shift. We have of course indulged in grains/sugars on occasion and notice its results, and so are learning to lessen our desire for those foods and/or counteract with smaller servings, and to up vegetable intake on the same day we indulge in a treat. :) 
Another benefit to eating this way, has been the ease of introducing Michael to solids. I didn't have to worry about a pre-mature allergic reaction to dairy or grains (although he has since been introduced to whole wheat). Since everything we eat is healthy and in its close natural state, we can mash/break it up and give it to him. He sits with us at mealtimes and we feed him off our plates the same fare we are eating. He quickly became accustomed to seasonings, and now will make a face if something is bland. He loves the taste of curry and chili, and his seemingly most enjoyed foods are squash, yams, tomatoes, and meat. He will eat banana and avocado, (he will eat anything because he wants to be like the cool kids) but doesn't seem to enjoy them as much as I thought he would, being a baby. Eggs were introduce last week...something I was a bit apprehensive about since he is only about 9 months. But I've seen Paleo moms give it to their babies as young as 6 months...so far so good here, but I plan to take it easy with those.
Clamoring for more food...
What's wrong with that?
Michael never got the hang of the sippy cup in the early days, so we've been using this trainer cup with careful monitoring at mealtimes. He still breastfeeds the rest of the day/night.

Some of our Paleo meals...sample lunches:
Eggs and salmon salad. And hot apple cider!
Gingered butternut squash soup. So easy and delicious.

Sample dinners:
Caldo de pollo. (The corn chips are not Paleo, of course).
Seasoned drumsticks, yam, and brussel sprouts w/bacon and apples.
Pork loin and braised red cabbage. The latter is so easy and delicious - I make it with red wine, apple cider vinegar, onions, apples, cinnamon and pepper.
Chicken mole over green cabbage.

Some easy substitutes I use for grain based products:
Noodles - zucchini strips, spaghetti squash
Rice - cauliflower, sauteed green cabbage (this is our favorite for curries and Mexican dishes) 
Bread - lunch meat, lettuce, spinach (fresh or sauteed) 
I make coconut tortillas, almond/coconut flour biscuits or muffins on occasion, but we really prefer to save on the heavy stuff for when we eat actual grains. :)

For snacks, we have Lara bars, nuts, apples/celery with almond butter, fruits/veggies, hard-boiled eggs, a piece of meat from the fridge, or dark chocolate (usually 65-70%ish). I also have this snack mix on hand, which is delicious.

Conclusion: I still have some ways to go to achieve my desired weight, but I now feel that I have the energy to start some intense workouts (my initial goal). Being a mother is hard, tiring work, and with lots of breastfeeding and the lack of a straight-through, good night's rest, I knew I needed to do something to assist my health and nutrient intake. I am inspired by the results of this gal and may go more hardcore like she did after the Christmas season to get closer to where I want to be.  Andrew and I have been impressed with the results of Paleo, and plan to continue eating this way, barring the occasional homemade or outing treat, especially on feast days and Sundays. The basic line: we feel good, are eating many more veggies than before, and I feel comfortable with my current health if I was to get pregnant anytime soon=done deal!

2 comments:

  1. Your food all looks really delicious! Especially the chicken mole!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your meals inspire me and what an incredible testimony your joint weight loss is. I need to return more completely to my paleo diet. It has all been in flux since being sick last yr when I couldn't process the fat or the sulfur-rich vegs anymore.

    ReplyDelete