Tuesday, December 4, 2012

1st Advent weekend.

We had a lovely first weekend of Advent, and tried to do some things to move our hearts into a right direction of preparation and thoughtfulness for others. 

1) Winter and Christmas themes are definitely forefront in my mind...we've been on the lookout for a heavy dress coat for Andrew, and found a in-perfect-condition JoS. A. Banks wool coat at an antique store for $40 (normally in the $200 range.)
I picked up a few treasures too....
2 bits I put together for $3! (These cranberry wreaths go for $16-20 at a craft store.) Thrifting is the way to go sometimes most times! I enjoy the challenge of being responsible with the funds God allots us, while at the same time fulfilling our needs and finding ways to keep our home a lovely and useful place. My sentiment parallels this thought of the wise G.K. Chesterton...
"Thrift is the really romantic thing; economy is more romantic than extravagance...thrift is poetic because it is creative; waste is un-poetic because it is waste...if a man could undertake to make use of all the things in his dustbin, he would be a broader genius than Shakespeare."  
Love it. :)

2) Friday night, we had a young couple from church over for dinner. They are the proud parents of a beautiful newborn girl...it was cute to see Michael be concerned when he heard her cry and he tried to initiate conversation with her - will have to get pictures next time! I'm feeling blessed by the caliber of new friends we are making; so nice to be able to share spiritual and parenting thoughts, and have wonderful options for play dates for Michael.

3) Saturday morning we attended Mass for 1st Saturday, then joined the respect life group for a prayer vigil in front of Planned Parenthood. Michael slept in the carrier for the majority of the time; I was thankful to be able to bring my child to witness to life, but prayerfully protesting abortion is a completely different ball game once one is a mother - quite emotional. We received more positive honks and thumbs-up vs. negative shouts, which is encouraging. This is an activity we feel called to participate regularly in, especially as a young family.

4) On Sunday I put the finishing touches on our Advent wreath, a different one than the one of past years. I have wanted to have a live evergreen wreath for some time now, and our new living location does not disappoint in variety and abundance of winter greens! I gathered 3 types of evergreen from our lane in addition to some holly, and used a plate as a base for my candle ring and greens.
This year, I added an additional Advent candle; this to symbolize He who is the Light to the world. Our beautiful Jesse Tree from Mom was hung in a prominent place in the kitchen.
Little man watched the preparations with interest. Although we have our tree, we are holding off on putting it up, at least until Gaudete Sunday. I will slowly unpack Christmas decor for display throughout the next few weeks. I think adding a little bit here and there will help contribute to the expectant character of this Advent season, and keep me focused on meditating on its mysteries. 

5) This Sunday also marked the Rite of Acceptance for catecheums at our parish. Andrew was in need of sponsors for some of his RCIA group, and so I volunteered. I was able to meet my assigned candidate, Candice, at Mass and stand behind her in support of her wonderful journey into the Church. I'm looking forward to sharing our faith with her and praying for her. If you remember, keep her in her prayers, thanks!

6) Time was also spent this weekend organizing the house, mainly the master bedroom. It is still a work in progress but this part is especially exciting for me. The computer was moved to a smaller desk...
...leaving the large desk free for a craft table!! A shelf found in the garage sufficed to hold supplies, and I am in business.
It is nice to have room to spread out and work on Christmas gifts for my God-children. On a cute, tiny machine that belonged to my Nana. With multiple Skype calls to my mother. The sewing machine world is pretty new to me! :)

7) I love this season, this time of hopeful waiting for Him, minus the complete focus on materialism, with which most of the world seems to be intent on entrapping our spirits. Maybe it just seems more "in your face" here in a bigger city. We hope to combat this mentality with daily Mass, adoration, learning some new Advent hymns, celebrating special feast days that occur throughout December, and reading Advent-themed material. However, we have agreed to go enjoy the holiday sights and festivities around the city, and I have been searching the web for different options. A lot happens around the Seattle area at this time, and I'm looking forward to having some fun family time and introducing Michael to Christmas lights. 

I appreciate these remarks by our Holy Father - 
"Expectation and awaiting represent a dimension that touches our entire individual, family and social existence...We could say that man is alive so long as he expects, so long as hope remains alive in his heart...In this time of preparation for Christmas, each of us may ask ourselves; what do I expect?...This same question can be posed at the level of the family, the community, the nation." 
Pope Benedict continued by pointing out that Mary and Joseph were the humble unexpected parents of the Messiah, and a babe born in a manger was the unexpected dwelling place of a King. This reminded me that many of us do not appreciate or recognize what God is doing in our lives, because it is not the picture we imagine. It is not what we expect. A good meditation to assist us in remembering that "God's ways are not our ways" and that we need to imitate the example of the Holy parents of our Lord who waited in joyful hope and expectancy for the revelation of God's plan. Our world may be in turmoil, our communities in strife, our families in division, but as long as we wait on the Lord and trust in His timing and purpose, He will "make known to us in all wisdom and insight the mystery of his will according to his purpose which he set forth in Christ as a plan for the fullness of time, to unite all things in him, things in heaven and on earth." (Ephesians 1:9-10)

Wishing you all a very blessed and fruitful Advent! 

No comments:

Post a Comment