Friday, November 2, 2012

All Saints.

One of my favorite mini feasts of the year...when we remember the whole of our brothers and sisters who have gone before us, leaving us examples of holiness, virtue, long-suffering obedience to Christ. Growing up, I remember saints playing a huge part in my life. My parents were excellent about having us read about the lives of the saints (one per day, in fact) and we often celebrated many saint feasts throughout the year, culminating in a very special celebration for All Saints. The repetition of reading their stories truly brought the saints alive to me on a personal level. I learned to rely on the saints and remember their reactions to temptations, sin, and the devil, their charity towards others, their acknowledgement of failure, their fervor of love for our Lord and the Blessed Mother. The saints acted as little compasses for our lives as children, I believe, whether or not we realized it then, or always acted in accord with their examples. Such a beautiful heritage we have in the saints. The world needs more sanctity and more saints now, and it must begin with us and our children...

This year to mark the day with a little festivity, we invited a large family from our parish over for treats after the evening Mass. Hopefully next year, there will be a All Saints' Day party at church we can attend. I can't wait to dress Michael up as a little saint.
 Very simple All Saints' Day decoration=string, mini clothespins, and whatever holy cards I had around the house! I love having all these saints hanging in the kitchen; such a good reminder of the diverse walks of life from which greatness can spring.
 Goodies
I enjoy decorating sugar cookies for special occasions...once or twice a year.  

No comments:

Post a Comment