Thursday, October 25, 2012

Reflections over laundry.

The domestic life leaves many hours for silent thought, especially when one has a baby and not much (intelligent) conversing occurs throughout the day. When I was working my former jobs, I would usually complete my chores while thinking about school/work projects, music for my choir, activities for my students, etc., but now, I do not have priorities outside of the home on which to dwell. Of course I think about my family and friends often, but for the most part, I feel like there is too much time in which to think. If one is not careful, a wandering mind can cause disquiet, doubts, room for temptation, or sin, so I believe that in quiet time, the mind should be put to good use by reflection, prayer, and interior cultivation; I like to call it mindful quiet. I try to keep my mind working along with the hands, and my soul always always needs a good tilling. "The soul of the sluggard craves in vain, but the diligent soul is amply satisfied." (Proverbs 13:4) I think we can fall prey to the sin of sloth not only in our actions, but also in the movements, or lack thereof, of our minds. I am learning to be more contemplative within my duties around the house. It goes without saying that it helps me find more peace in the daily nitty-gritty to remember that our Lord is His complete humanity, experienced/performed the necessities of the physical/material world.  And of course, I can always ask myself, "How would the Blessed Mother have gone about this task?" Perfectly and peacefully and lovingly, of course. Also, work can be accompanied by prayer. All things I've known since I was young and try to implement. I feel that I need to continuously develop and strengthen my works/mind/soul connection, in order to aim for a more unified and holier sense of purpose.

Mondays are usually my wash day, however this week, I had overflow which I dealt with today, in addition to diapers. Laundry is not my favorite chore, but as providence would have it, today's spiritual reflection from one of the books I am working through, Grace in Every Season by Catherine Doherty, concerned a meditation on doing laundry!  I have to share part of her beautiful insight which encouraged me: 

"The laundry is a place where you can learn contemplation. The repetitive work of ironing and folding clothes is conducive to the freedom of the Spirit which allows you to roam at will, now beholding Christ in Nazareth, now meditating on the Eucharist, now thinking about the Scriptures. Your work is redemptive too. Souls depend on the perfection of your work and the spirit in which you approach it. That spirit should be peaceful, prayerful, and full of charity."

While running the diaper wash (twice through with a rinse), I thought about how Christ is continually running our souls through the wash of His never-ending mercy and love. And don't we need it. Our worldly thoughts and desires need rinsing, our virtues need brightening, our sinful stains need whitening, our spirits need refreshing. It is all found in Him alone. Additionally, a good tumble akin to that of the dryer, never fails to remind us to remain humble and tighten our grasp on Him. :) I found this snippet in Gunilla Norris' Being Home (a wonderful little book with meditations on each domestic work) which paralleled my thoughts:

"Soon the clothes will be drenched in water and soap. It will be a different time, and sorting will no longer matter in the midst of the wash cycle. I need to learn this in life: when to recognize, to name, and to sort - and when to immerse, to soak, to tumble, and be rinsed free of opinions. Grant that I may as much as possible honor You in all things...I pin these wet clothes to the line...an image of joining, of clinging to something. If I really know that You are my lifeline, then to cling to You is my primary business."

So thankful He made Himself known to us and allows me to cling to Him, my Strength and Saving Grace, my Lifeline.
Cheery colors drying in the laundry room today - after summer travels and a few colds, Michael's stuffed toys were in need of a good wash. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment