1) Well, the rainy days have arrived upon the Seattle area; we've found that we really don't mind it and are learning that we can find moments in between the rain to get outdoors for some fun and fresh air. Trips to the library are perfect "outings" for rainy days, and so this weekend we picked up a couple special interest books.
2) On Saturday we braved the drizzle and visited Farrel-McWhirter Farm Park, a small city-owned animal farm.
Michael enjoyed checking out the goats

...and the chickens.
I want a chicken coop like this some day!
Michael enjoyed checking out the goats
...and the chickens.
I want a chicken coop like this some day!
3) From the kitchen - the cold wet weather called for soup so I made it twice this weekend.
Chicken, rice and peas in beef broth seasoned with cumin.
Chicken, rice and peas in beef broth seasoned with cumin.
Creamy tomato - adapted from this one.
And...applesauce cake for Sunday morning (and as proof that we do go off the Paleo bandwagon now and again :)
4) Adventures in eating for Michael...cucumber, chicken, and banana.
Someone knows how to escape from his seat when he is finished...
5) A bath followed. A few weeks ago, Michael graduated from the baby tub to the sit-up tub.
Look at this big boy!
Someone knows how to escape from his seat when he is finished...
5) A bath followed. A few weeks ago, Michael graduated from the baby tub to the sit-up tub.
Look at this big boy!
6) Sunday was cloudy, but rain-free so we headed to the Hiram M. Chittenden Locks in the Ballard district. I had been there a few times as a child, and Andrew had never seen a locks system, so it was a good choice. (Pictures will be in following post.)
7) It's been a weekend of trusting, of being thankful for the blessings we have and remembering many are not as fortunate. I listened to this talk by Fr. Benedict Groeschel which helped put things into perspective for me and his simple, truthful humor made me smile; something so timely that God sent my way. We can always live with less then we have. This too was good food for thought as I navigate the sacrament of marriage - wait patiently, God redeems, let love win, learn to let it be - simple phrases that we all need to be reminded of. Remember not to direct anger inward, as it will lead to resentment, wallowing in self-pity, or depression. (No, we didn't have a fight. :) Thankful for each and every lesson, no matter how hard or painful, that He sends; always much work to be done in me!
"Father, I abandon myself into your hands; do with me what you will. Whatever you may do, I thank you: I am ready for all, I accept all. Let only your will be done in me, and in all your creatures - I wish no more than this, O Lord. Into your hands I commend my soul: I offer it to you with all the love of my heart, for I love you, Lord, and so need to give myself, to surrender myself into your hands without reserve, and with boundless confidence, for you are my Father."
Blessed Charles de Foucauld
"Father, I abandon myself into your hands; do with me what you will. Whatever you may do, I thank you: I am ready for all, I accept all. Let only your will be done in me, and in all your creatures - I wish no more than this, O Lord. Into your hands I commend my soul: I offer it to you with all the love of my heart, for I love you, Lord, and so need to give myself, to surrender myself into your hands without reserve, and with boundless confidence, for you are my Father."
Blessed Charles de Foucauld
What a fun and cozy weekend! These are all such beautiful family pictures, Melissa. Don't you just love the beauty of Fall!?!? Oh my, I would totally love a chicken coop if it could look like that! It's great when you can get fresh eggs right off of your own property. We used to own chickens and the eggs were soo fresh and tasty! Have a great week!
ReplyDeleteP.S. I absolutely LOVE your new header picture of your family! =)
ReplyDeleteA glass of wine in the kitchen is the best! Such fun pictures of your family!
ReplyDeleteGreat blog and I love the picture of Divine Mercy one of my favorite pictures!
I'm your newest GFC follower!
Rachel ~
yettobedetermined86.blogspot.com