Monday, October 1, 2012

Dealing with joy.

It's been a week of colds and teething. As the weather chills, so have our immune systems. We have been pretty good with our vitamins and herbal teas, but are lacking in the department of sleep. Andrew's schedule has been incredibly busy and Michael is still working on some teeth; hence, not much rest for us parents which has greatly hindered our ability to get better. Andrew has lost his voice several times this week, making an already packed week of meetings and teaching, extra challenging for him.  At least I don't have a full blown cold (yet); have been teetering on the fence line for a few days and am feeling the worst today. This weekend has been the worst for Michael so far; I have never seen him this fussy and distraught. Poor little guy keeps rubbing his ears and his mouth, expressing his discomfort with faces, and being extremely needy. And he has a cough to boot. I've been keeping him warmly dressed and inside for the most part - hopefully he will kick that cough this week. Needless to say, it has been a tiring and draining week for me. Providence brought this to my attention and I had to smile at Cardinal Dolan's cheerful frankness:

"Lord knows there are plenty of Good Fridays in our lives...but, they will not prevail. Easter will. As we Irish claim, 'Life is all about loving, living, and laughing, not about hating, dying, and moaning.' That's why a crabby, griping, whining believer is an oxymoron! That's why we say, 'Joy is the infallible sign of God's presence.' "

Lord also knows I've had a few Good Fridays in my day. And I've learned to deal. But God asks us to do more then deal. In addition to trusting Him to carry us through the tough times, He asks us to forge them joyfully. Joy. Such a tiny word, but packed with purpose and meaning. I've always been very good with dutifully and punctually carrying out my obligations and fulfilling my commitments, but I've never been good with the "rejoice always" part. In fact, I fail in that area way too often. This is why I chose the title "Joy of Being" for my blog; to constantly remind me that not only have I much to be joyful about as a daughter of God, but that only in Him, do I find complete joy of being and that only through Him, will I be able to impart that joy of being to family, friends and strangers. Sure, it's a breeze to smile when the going is easy and smooth. However, being human, it's more likely that some insecurity, frustration or weakness of temperament will haste to turn that smile into a frown. What does Scripture say?

"Rejoice in the Lord always. I shall say it again: rejoice!" Philippians 4:4

"...we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produce hope, and hope does not disappoint us..." Romans 5:3-5

"Rejoice in your hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer."
Romans 12:12

"Count it all joy, my brethren when you meet various trials, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness." James 1:2-3

And so, if we strive to remain daily in His presence and invite Him into our various trials, will not the "task" of remaining joyful no longer be a "task" but a automatic response to the consolation found in Him? In other words, a gift from the Lord?

"You have put more joy in my heart than they have when their grain and wine abound." Psalm 4:7

"Splendor and majesty go before him; praise and joy are in his holy place."  
1 Chronicles 16:27

"Then all who take refuge in you will be glad and forever shout for joy. Protect them that you may be the joy for those who love your name." Psalm 5:12

"My soul is feasted as with marrow and fat, and my mouth praises you with joyful lips, when I think of you upon my bed, and meditate on you in the watches of the night; for you have been my help, and in the shadow of your wings I sing for joy." Psalm 63:5-7

Such wealth of comfort found in His Word, these quotes being only a mere fraction! Through our faith and trust in Him, the Lord grants us joy. Joy begets peace. Joy begets hope. Joy begets stronger love. Aren't those the principles I want our life and house to revolve around? There's a saying somewhere that the mother is the heart of the household. Also, that a mother's heart in the classroom of her child. It's true. I've got a little man around who grows ever-aware of my state of being and reactions to life's curve balls and who will soon be following my lead, not to mention a husband who in his own human imperfection, is likely to react according to my reactions...ample reasons to check/change my habits, no? Resolve: to bless my family by being more joyful in all circumstances, and by so doing, to bring God's presence more keenly into their midst.

"Joy is the serious business of Heaven." ~ C. S. Lewis

Yes, sir. The best of reasons to practice now.

"And the ransomed of the Lord shall return, and come to Zion with singing, everlasting joy shall be upon their heads; they shall obtain joy and gladness and sorrow and sighing shall flee away."
Isaiah 51:11

1 comment:

  1. Baby, whenever I read your posts, I always find myself thinking: "I think I've married a saint!" I sometimes forget how much of an amazing woman you really are, and how much depth of love there is inside you. I hope to be like you someday. I love you more than you will ever know...

    ReplyDelete